Folks, people get stupid about their sports teams. They just do. Sports fans are notorious for being passionate about their team and really hating their rival team and its fans.
Add alcohol to the mix and it can quickly become a volatile brew that can explode.
That is exactly what happened this week as a Dodgers Fan was stabbed to death after a Giants-Dodgers game. The fan, wearing Dodgers gear, got into a dustup with some Giants fans leaving a bar; he was stabbed to death in the altercation.
Some practical lessons from this kind of tragic death:
- If you’re in “enemy territory,” it pays to be nice. This guy could likely have defused the situation. When ego gets involved, tragedy happens.
- Never forget the principles of de-escalate, evade, and escape.
- Knowing that this is an intense rivalry, was it wise to wear Dodgers gear to AT&T Park? I wear my Niners gear to Cardinals Stadium when they play here, but there is not the bad blood between Niners and Cards fans that there is between Giants and Dodgers fans. Discretion is the better part of valor and all that.
- AT&T Park is a gun free zone, so this fan couldn’t have had any force-leveling tools on him. But knowing how to defend himself against a knife-wielding attacker could have saved his life.
- Never forget the rule of stupids!