It’s easy to get attached to our property, but this carjacking certainly shows us why we must know when to let it go to practice good Active Self Protection.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this sad carjacking? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Some scant details on this carjacking: https://get-asp.com/fya7
What does this victim teach us about defending ourselves against a carjacking?
- Evil exists in our world, and no amount of wishing it away does so. Evil people do evil things, and good people must be ready and willing to stand between them and innocent people and do enough violence to stop them definitively. No amount of negotiation will make truly evil people change their ways; only those willing and able to stop them who use attitude, skills, and plan effectively can. This carjacking was evil, plain and simple, and their victim didn’t need to die. This is the kind of evil that we must be ready to protect ourselves from.
- Since criminals are looking for victims and not fights, they tend to look for vulnerable people to target. Think about a pride of lions chasing wildebeest in Africa and you get the picture. They target the elderly, the young, and the sick for easier attack and greater success. Likewise, criminals pick victims who they think will not effectively resist them, or that the criminal can quickly overwhelm. This includes the elderly, the young (kids and early teens), the sick, and the distracted. Men (the overwhelming majority of attackers) also target women because women tend to be physically weaker than men. If you’re in a vulnerable population take extra precaution and train! I can’t guarantee that this carjacking happened because the man is elderly, but it certainly was part of the equation.
- We must each decide what is worth protecting. Life is always worth protecting because it is of inestimable worth; as unique bearers of the image of God, people are the most valuable “thing” imaginable. Property is something else, though. With property we always have to balance the benefit against the risk to ourselves and our families. Even where it’s legally allowed, you should consider whether it’s wise or prudent to defend your property, because doing so puts you at risk and not just the bad guy. This carjacking shows the tragic potential cost of defending our property.
- One of the biggest reasons that ground fighting is dangerous is the presence of accomplices/multiple attackers. While you’re tied up with someone on the ground working for a choke or submission, his buddies can stomp you or otherwise intervene to radically change your chances. While we can’t always control whether a fight ends up on the ground, we can train and practice and work to get up and regain our mobility and awareness as fast as possible. It’s odd that ground skills became part of a carjacking, but this case shows why those skills are important too.
- Spiritual fitness is an important part of Active Self Protection. You don’t often get any advance notice of the last day of your life, but we see over and over that self-defense isn’t a guarantee of winning every fight you might be placed in. You want to be at peace with your loved ones and with God, because you’ll need that peace on the day that you meet Him. Since you can’t guarantee advanced notice, make peace today.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.