There are a lot of lessons in this video, for sure, but we really think the biggest one is to carry a defensive firearm with the chamber full. This is why we give this advice all the time at Active Self Protection!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this reminder to carry chamber full? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Original video of the incident is available in our Instructor Development Portal.
Details of the incident (remarkably NO ONE was hit): https://get-asp.com/v2wf
What does this video teach us in addition to carrying chamber full?
- Evil exists in our world, and no amount of wishing it away does so. Evil people do evil things, and good people must be ready and willing to stand between them and innocent people and do enough violence to stop them definitively. No amount of negotiation will make truly evil people change their ways; only those willing and able to stop them who use attitude, skills, and plan effectively can. The details in the description says that the perps here saw a police car in the parking lot and went looking for them to have a gunfight! That’s just evil, plain and simple.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. Notice the ease of ambush and escape; this makes for a quick incident, and that’s part of why chamber full is the way to carry a defensive firearm!
- Situational awareness is your best friend. It doesn’t mean that you always are paranoid or living in “condition orange,” but it does mean that you know Col. Cooper’s color code of awareness and you live by it. Pay attention to your surroundings, and recognize that when you’re in public places you need to be more aware of your surroundings than when you’re in private. The first responder here saw a problem and reacted to it; he had his phone out, but he was aware and that made a huge difference!
- There is a significant difference between territorial and predatorial violence. (I learned these terms from Marc MacYoung) Territorial violence occurs when an aggressor wants something from you; they put a line in the sand and tell you that you will give it to them, or they will hurt you. Muggings and rapes fall in this category among others. Predatorial violence occurs when the attacker wants you dead and there is no ability to comply with demands to live. In territorial violence compliance might get you out alive, but a predatory attacker will not be stopped short of your death or you having the attitude, skills, and plan to stop them. This incident was clearly predatorial violence, and you don’t get time to chamber a round against predatorial violence. Carry chamber full!
- You won’t always be standing up when it’s time to draw and use your firearm, so knowing how to employ a firearm while seated (or laying down even) is a significant lesson. Don’t think for a moment that you can simply be content to be able to do the basics on the range. Pressure test your holster setup, your draw, and your ability to actually get to your gun while seated in the car and in a chair. Of course, do so safely and under instruction. Chamber full carry gives you one less step to worry about when everything else is going wrong!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.