If you decide to fight armed robbers, you absolutely need to have your Active Self Protection on point and know WHY, WHEN, and for WHAT. If you don’t have attitude, skills, AND plan ready to go, don’t go after armed robbers! I think this Good Samaritan did it right in this instance; do you agree?
This video is sponsored by CCWSafe, who I use to help me win the fight after the fight: get-asp.com/ccwsafe. I am a member and I recommend them highly; please go check them out and thank them for being a sponsor of our daily lessons!
Original video of the of the armed robbers with details: https://get-asp.com/jykf
What does this video teach us about fighting armed robbers?
1. We must each decide what is worth protecting when armed robbers threatens you. Life is always worth protecting because it is of inestimable worth; as unique bearers of the image of God, people are the most valuable “thing” imaginable. Property is something else, though. With property we always have to balance the benefit against the risk to ourselves and our families. Even where it’s legally allowed, you should consider whether it’s wise or prudent to defend your property, because doing so puts you at risk and not just the bad guy. In this instance I don’t think the good guy was trying to stop the armed robbery per se, but when he saw two armed robbers coming at him he responded and protected his life. I am totally okay with that.
2. In a gunfight, cover and concealment are important tools to know and use. Cover is anything that will stop bullets; concealment is that which will not stop bullets but will hide you from being seen by the aggressors. In many instances concealment works as well as cover against armed robbers who are not highly trained because they won’t shoot through it. Even so, cover and concealment only work for a few moments before the armed robbers will start to work around them, so use them judiciously to buy you time and give you an advantage in a gunfight.
3. The goal in any defensive firearms use is to stop the threat. Never draw a firearm if you’re not willing to use it, but if the presence of the firearm stops the threat, don’t pull the trigger! If the first shots drive the armed robbers off, then stop shooting and get to safety. If the bad guy flees or surrenders, that’s a very successful defensive firearm use and you’ve met the goal. Our goal is always to stop the threat.
4. Do not stay in the danger zone if you can possibly help it. So many times people get decision paralysis and freeze, but you cannot stay in a place where a deadly threat exists! Either act to leave the area, or act to protect yourself. Every second you give armed robbers is another opportunity they have to do you and yours harm, so don’t allow that. If you can, get out of there immediately. If you can’t, then look for your opportunity to ensure your own safety by whatever means necessary.
5. We must never settle for being able to protect ourselves against a lone attacker because of how common multiple attacker engagements are. Rats travel in packs, so we must always be prepared to face multiple attackers! Armed robbers don’t always know how to work together effectively (thankfully!), but having attitude, skills, and plan must encompass multiple attackers. It simply must.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
(music in the intro and outro courtesy of Bensound at bensound.com)