I have heard talking heads on television tell people that if an armed robber robs you, just give them what they want and you’ll be fine. At Active Self Protection we know that’s certainly no guarantee, and these incidents give a lot of evidence to that fact!
Video 1 original: http://get-asp.com/ipja
Video 2 original: http://get-asp.com/us5t
Video 3 original: http://get-asp.com/m0g9
Should I comply with armed robbers?
- The fallacy in the advice to comply is that it seems to be blanket advice. No advice will work in every situation, and someone pointing a gun at you can be reasonably inferred to mean you deadly harm. You have the right to protect yourself from a deadly threat, but if you don’t have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from the threat then compliance might be the only option you have. I would prefer that everyone have far more options, though!
- No product or inventory is worth getting shot for, so giving the armed robber the cash in the till or the product off the shelf is wise. Even if you’re only buying time to find an opportunity, don’t deny the armed robber what he wants without more to back it up than your angry stare. If you can’t win the encounter, then just give him the stuff!
- You must always look for your opportunity, but don’t look so long that the opportunity passes you by! Defend yourself at the earliest possible moment.
- The best solution to the first two videos would have for sure been the clerk having a firearm of their own and using it effectively. I think that every ASPer should be proficient with firearms and carry one if their laws allow. In the third clip, empty-handed skills and the Five Ds would certainly have made for a better outcome.
- We talk about spiritual fitness from time to time at ASP, and these videos remind us that you don’t always get to pick the day you meet your Creator. Part of ASP is being ready spiritually for that day in the event that today is the day, so make peace with God as part of your preparation.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.