These armed robbers regretted picking this shop! Kudos to the shop employee for being prepared to defend himself.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these armed robbers paying the price for their choices? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details and benefits.
Find a good instructor in your area and get some training: https://get-asp.com/directory
News story on the armed robbers and store with a few details: https://get-asp.com/ry04
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against armed robbers?
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of situational awareness is that it buys you time and space to respond to a threat, and time and space buy you options when considering how to protect yourself and your loved ones from a threat. Time and space give you the chance to escape and evade, or time and space to get your force multiplier in the fight, and time and space to better your defensive position and give you a better chance to be victorious.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. These armed robbers had a fast entry because of the transitional space.
- The “fleeing felon rule” generally applies to Law Enforcement Officers in the performance of their duties, and since 1985’s Tennessee vs. Garner decision the ability to use deadly force to apprehend a fleeing felon by LEO has been limited to cases where the officer has probable cause to believe that the fleeing felon is a continuing threat of serious physical harm to the officer or the public. However, how that law applies to non-LEO varies state by state. Make sure to know your local laws so that you know the limitations of shooting a fleeing felon, especially if you’re not a police officer. In this instance, the continuity of action would probably protect the employee, but let’s all remember that we want to practice legal, moral self-defense.
- Successful self-defense against many attacks involves a counter-ambush, where the victim finds the right opportunity to seize the initiative from the attacker and launch an ambush of their own. That involves thinking and knowing your own strengths and skill set, and being ready to strike the attacker when your opportunity for counter-ambush comes. It also means not allowing the attacker to see that attack until it’s launched. The counter-ambush against these armed robbers was pretty easy to see!
- Glass deflects the path of bullets, so if you need to shoot through glass you need to know how the bullet will be deflected. The bullet will deflect toward perpendicular to the glass, meaning you will have to account for that deflection if you have to shoot. In a car, that means shooting IN to the car the bullet will deflect downward and shooting OUT of the car means it will deflect upward, as well as left or right depending on the curvature of the glass. After the first shot the deflection lessens significantly.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.