This is a great example of why, against armed robbers, you MUST have your Active Self Protection ready and your tools accessible!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these employees getting overwhelmed by armed robbers? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Original surveillance video is available to members of our Instructor Development Portal.
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against armed robbers?
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself. The armed robbers got the drop on these clerks and they had very little chance from there to defend themselves!
- You must recognize that if you have valuables visible, you make yourself a more inviting target to muggers. Showing valuables like expensive jewelry has social value as well, but the trade-off of that social value is increased attraction of attention from criminals as well. A gold shop is a natural draw for armed robbers, so being prepared to face them is crucial to successfully defending yourself!
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from armed robbers, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against carjacking or armed robbers, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
- As well-meaning as police officers are, they cannot protect you from armed robbers. As the old adage says, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!” You—and ONLY you—can protect yourself from danger when it comes upon you. A police response time of 5 minutes is considered perfectly acceptable in most suburban departments, and times upwards of 30 minutes can be the norm in rural areas! You need to have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from harm because the police simply can’t.
- Keep your firearm on your person! Plenty of people keep a firearm stationed near them under the counter or on a desk, but in the moment of need you can’t ever be sure that you can get to it if it’s not on your person. Armed robbers won’t give you all day to get your firearm out from a drawer and into the fight. Keep your firearm ready!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.