Have you practiced your response to an armed robbery in training or even mentally? Having your Active Self Protection plan in place in advance can give you the advantage!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these armed robbers getting their just desserts? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Original video with some detail on the armed robbers is available in our Instructor Development Portal.
What does this armed customer teach us about defending ourselves against an armed robbery?
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack; this armed robbery shows that nicely. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself.
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from armed robbers, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against a carjacking or against armed robbery, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. Almost every armed robbery we see at ASP occurs in transitional spaces.
- Successful self-defense against armed robbery often involves a counter-ambush, where the victim finds the right opportunity to seize the initiative from the attacker and launch an ambush of their own. That involves thinking and knowing your own strengths and skill set, and being ready to strike the armed robbers when your opportunity for counter-ambush comes. It also means not allowing the attacker to see that attack until it’s launched.
- Situational awareness is useful for more than seeing the attack coming, but also for knowing what is happening during the armed robbery. In particular, if your awareness is strong you might get to see the armed robbers put their gun away to use both hands, or you might see that the robber’s gun malfunctions or is empty. The armed customer here waited until he knew the armed robbers were not paying attention to him. That information can give you the cue to act definitively to defend yourself by running or by counter-attacking the armed robber. This is not only why awareness is important, but knowledge of firearms and tools is as well!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.