There aren’t too many honest-to-goodness knife fights out there…most we see are knife attacks. This is the exception! The store owner did a pretty good job of practicing Active Self Protection and not being victimized in my opiniong!
Original video of the armed robbery: https://get-asp.com/wqn9
News story on the armed robbery: https://get-asp.com/id5w note that the news story says that the good guy lost his knife in the fracas!
What does this video teach us about protecting ourselves in an armed robbery?
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself. The officer did a good job of riding out the initial ambush to the place where he could get control of the armed robbery.
- We must each decide what is worth protecting. Life is always worth protecting because it is of inestimable worth; as unique bearers of the image of God, people are the most valuable “thing” imaginable. Property is something else, though. With property we always have to balance the benefit against the risk to ourselves and our families. Even where it’s legally allowed, you should consider whether it’s wise or prudent to defend your property, because doing so puts you at risk and not just the bad guy. This armed robber was a threat to life, and so the store owner was 100% justified in defending himself!
- Knife attacks do not happen like you’ve seen in Hollywood. They are brutal, fast, and mean. Stabbing attacks do not generally come from slashes or from any notice whatsoever, but tend to come from concealment and repeatedly stab at a rate of 2-3 stabs per second. This knife attack became a knife FIGHT, which is something else entirely.
- You must know the range of your force multiplier and the range of various force multipliers that might be used against you. Knives are short-range, fast moving force multipliers. Firearms are extremely long-range, fast moving force multipliers. The best solution to a knife attack is to keep at distance so you’re out of range of the knife attack!
- Please keep your force multiplier on your person. The store owner here was very lucky that he could get to his knife, but that luck isn’t always on your side. So keep your gun or knife on you!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.