To paraphrase the adage, when the prey are armed, armed robbers go hungry! There are some good lessons here for all of us as we seek to protect ourselves and our loved ones from armed robbers.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this armed robber getting his comeuppance? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
A few details from a Brazilian source (Google Translate from Portuguese required): https://get-asp.com/mdoq
Another news story from Brazilian TV for those who speak Portuguese, and with some details in the description that can be translated using Google Translate: https://get-asp.com/5p45
What does this video teach us about protecting ourselves against an armed robber?
- Evil exists in our world, and no amount of wishing it away does so. Evil people do evil things, and good people must be ready and willing to stand between them and innocent people and do enough violence to stop them definitively. No amount of negotiation will make truly evil people change their ways; only those willing and able to stop them who use attitude, skills, and plan effectively can.
- Perhaps the biggest benefit of situational awareness is that it buys you time and space to respond to a threat, and time and space buy you options when considering how to protect yourself and your loved ones from a threat. Time and space give you the chance to escape and evade, or time and space to get your force multiplier in the fight, and time and space to better your defensive position and give you a better chance to be victorious.
- We often see the effectiveness of a purposeful and significant lateral move to start a defense against a firearm on video. If you’re inside 5 yards, a strong lateral movement can be the difference between being shot and having a chance because the attacker misses. So in your defensive handgun training make sure that a strong lateral move is a part of your skill set for a gunfight closer than 5 yards!
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers.
- It is critical to know not only how to shoot from the “press out” position, but also from high compressed ready and from retention. Being able to shoot from a high compressed ready as well as from retention are vital skills for all self-defenders to have, because drawing the firearm and using it when there is a threat within arms-length means not pressing it out to use it effectively. You must have the ability to use it in close quarters without endangering your firearm.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.