Anyone else watch this and think of the old Crocodile Dundee line, “That’s not a knife…THAT’S a knife!” This clerk practiced pretty good Active Self Protection, drove the armed robber off, and wasn’t hurt. I think she did a great job!
Original video of the armed robber meeting his match: https://get-asp.com/yd0w
How do I protect myself from an armed robber?
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from an attacker, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against an armed robber, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. This convenience store is a transitional space by definition, so she was wise to be ready to be attacked.
- Keep your force multiplier on your person if at all possible! Plenty of people keep a firearm or a knife stationed near them under the counter or on a desk, but in the moment of need against an armed robber you can’t ever be sure that you can get to it if it’s not on your person. This clerk did just fine and I am not against what she did at all, but recognize that she was lucky that the armed robber hesitated.
- If you have spiritual fitness by knowing what you’re willing to fight for and that you’re willing and ready to win the fight no matter what, you place yourself way ahead of most attackers. Attackers are looking for victims and not looking for fights, so many times when an intended victim puts up a significant fight they will disengage and find other prey. This makes sense even in the animal kingdom where we often see an apex predator disengage from feisty prey for fear of injury. Being ready to defend yourself is a key in self-defense because that defense will often cause the bad guy to run. This is part of why spiritual fitness is so important to self-defense.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.