Just because you’re compliant with an armed robber does not mean they will be kind to you in return. This clerk found that out the hard way. There’s a lesson here, friends!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this armed robber shooting a compliant clerk? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Some information on the armed robber and clerk as well as the bystander: https://get-asp.com/9z16
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against an armed robber?
- You must accept that danger exists and that it can happen to you. This is the foundational core of spiritual fitness and the first step in taking proactive steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you live in a fantasyland that nothing bad can happen because nothing bad has happened in the past, you’re setting yourself up for a terrible letdown. I don’t think any 7-Eleven clerk in Philadelphia is under the delusion that an armed robber can’t target them, but we must all recognize that it can come our way!
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. All convenience stores are transitional spaces, and it seems like every armed robber loves them.
- I know plenty of people who use a “run to the store gun” if they’re just going to get a gallon of milk at the local convenience store or go get some fast food, but taking what we jokingly call a starter pistol (because they’re good for starting trouble but not so good for ending it) into these kinds of transitional spaces is unwise. Convenience stores and fast food restaurants are the most likely place to encounter an armed robber, so don’t skimp on your tools for these places.
- If you do not have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from an armed robber, then your only option is to submit to their demands and hope it works out for the best. I would never suggest that a helpless person try to defend themselves against a carjacking or armed robbery, though of course if it’s a matter of life and death you must do whatever you can. The point, though, is not to be a helpless victim! This is the heart of Active Self Protection, to motivate you to train and help you develop the attitude, skills, and plan so that you can choose to protect yourself if it makes sense in the moment rather than being forced into compliance with a violent felon.
- Compliance does not at all guarantee your safety in the face of an armed robber or other attacker. We know, for instance, that rape victims who fight back are no more likely to be harmed than if they don’t fight back, and they are less likely to be raped. (study here: https://get-asp.com/601c if you need proof on that) Compliance does not guarantee safety, as placing your safety in the hands of someone willing to commit a felony is a terrible idea.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.