I don’t have all the details on what precipitated this fist fight, but the assault with a deadly weapon is clear as day. Great reason to practice Active Self Protection!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like this assault with a deadly weapon? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Original surveillance video is available to members of our Instructor Development Portal.
News story on the assault: https://get-asp.com/38b2
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against assault?
- If you can win “the fight before the fight,” you win. You win that fight by minimizing your potential for being attacked in the first place! That means making smart decisions and living a life of awareness and readiness so that you don’t take unnecessary risks. I don’t know what precipitated this fist fight, but four guys represent a significant risk even before the gun turned it into assault with a deadly weapon.
- In a legal sense, the definition of “assault” is “intentionally putting another person in reasonable apprehension of an imminent harmful or offensive contact.” In some states the definition includes the actual causing of injury as well, but in others that’s a separate crime of battery. Therefore, if someone flashes a force multiplier like a firearm, with the intent of making someone believe you imminently intent to do them harm with that force multiplier, they are guilty of the crime of assault. There are some state statutes that provide immunity to that charge if the display of a firearm is defensive in nature as well. As always, check your state laws!
- As well-meaning as police officers are, they cannot protect you from an assault like this. As the old adage says, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!” You—and ONLY you—can protect yourself from danger when it comes upon you. A police response time of 5 minutes is considered perfectly acceptable in most suburban departments, and times upwards of 30 minutes can be the norm in rural areas! You need to have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from harm because the police simply can’t.
- Do not stay in the danger zone if you can possibly help it. So many times people get decision paralysis and freeze, but you cannot stay in a place where a deadly threat exists! Either act to leave the area, or act to protect yourself. Every second you give an attacker is another opportunity they have to assault you, so don’t allow that. If you can, get out of there immediately. If you can’t, then look for your opportunity to ensure your own safety by whatever means necessary. Before your Kung Fu, and before your Gun Fu, you should consider whether your best defense is Run Fu!
- While we certainly recommend that people carry the best defensive tools they possibly can, there will be times when those tools are unavailable. In those instances, though, being aware of any environmental weapons of opportunity you might use to defend yourself is helpful! A glass bottle can become a very nasty slashing tool. A pen can be used as a makeshift kubotan. A wrench can become a workable fighting stick. Don’t discount environmental weapons if you don’t have access to purpose-built tools. Here the victim used a large pipe to defend himself from the battery, and that was a good choice in the moment!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.