Would you have fought or just given up the jewelry? This is the reality of the way that muggers act, everyone. Don’t think for a moment that you don’t need every bit of Active Self Protection you can muster in the moment that muggers attack you.
This video is sponsored by CCWSafe, who I use to help me win the fight after the fight: https://get-asp.com/ccwsafe. I am a member and I recommend them highly; please go check them out and thank them for being a sponsor of our daily lessons!
Original video of the muggers: https://get-asp.com/5qad
What do we learn here about fighting off muggers?
- The Five Ds are a tool that we use at ASP to organize our training and preparation for defending ourselves against armed attackers (like muggers) when we are not armed ourselves. (or if we are armed but outdrawn such that we must deal with the problem with our hands) Deflect, Dominate, Distract, Disarm, Disable. We pursue them from first to last, in order, to give us the best chance of successfully defending ourselves against an armed opponent. Deflect their force multiplier, Dominate as much as possible (best is the whole person, second is the arm with the tool, last is the tool itself), Distract the attacker (usually using pain, redirection, movement, etc.), Disarm the attacker, and Disable the attacker.
- Empty-handed skills are absolutely critical for self-defenders. First of all, more conflicts you will encounter as a self-defender will require empty-handed skills than will require firearms skills, simply because more self-defense encounters are physical than deadly. Second, since a firearm is a tool of last resort, self-defenders need to have non-lethal options that include empty-handed skills to protect themselves from likely incidents. Third, as this armed robber drives home, in the moment of the encounter you may not have the time to get to your gun before you can fight your way to it. You might need to take his gun and use it!
- We must never settle for being able to protect ourselves against a lone attacker because of how common multiple attacker engagements are. Muggers travel in packs, so we must always be prepared to face multiple attackers!
- Spiritual fitness is an important part of Active Self Protection. You don’t often get any advance notice of the last day of your life, but we see over and over that self-defense isn’t a guarantee of winning every fight you might be placed in. You want to be at peace with your loved ones and with God, because you’ll need that peace on the day that you meet Him. Since you can’t guarantee advanced notice, make peace today. Thankfully these muggers didn’t kill their victim, but it wasn’t for lack of trying.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. These muggers used a transitional space to prey on their victims, so beware when you’re in one.
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
(music in the intro and outro courtesy of Bensound at http://www.bensound.com)