Armed robbers don’t come much more dangerous than this. Pistol, shotgun, AND rifle among the three armed robbers? Winning this one takes some nuanced Active Self Protection for sure.
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these armed robbers getting their just desserts? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
Original video with some detail on the armed robbers is available in our Instructor Development Portal.
News story on the armed robbers with significant details: https://get-asp.com/1soh
What does this video teach us about defending ourselves against armed robbers?
- You must accept that danger exists and that it can happen to you. This is the foundational core of spiritual fitness and the first step in taking proactive steps to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you live in a fantasyland that nothing bad can happen because nothing bad has happened in the past, you’re setting yourself up for a terrible letdown. These armed robbers didn’t target any of the people in the store, but the valuables of the store, and if you are ever in one of these places, you too can be caught up.
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. The speed with which these armed robbers could attack came because they were in a transitional space.
- In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Umas, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself. These armed robbers launched their ambush with gunshots, which makes it more difficult still.
- As well-meaning as police officers are, they cannot protect you from armed robbers. As the old adage says, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!” You—and ONLY you—can protect yourself from danger when it comes upon you. A police response time of 5 minutes is considered perfectly acceptable in most suburban departments, and times upwards of 30 minutes can be the norm in rural areas! You need to have the attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself from armed robbers because the police simply can’t.
- Do not stay in the danger zone if you can possibly help it. So many times people get decision paralysis and freeze (these bystanders certainly did), but you cannot stay in a place where a deadly threat exists! Either act to leave the area, or act to protect yourself. Every second you give an attacker is another opportunity they have to do you and yours harm, so don’t allow that. If you can, get out of there immediately. If you can’t, then look for your opportunity to ensure your own safety by whatever means necessary. Before your Kung Fu, and before your Gun Fu, you should consider whether your best defense is Run Fu! The customer stayed where these armed robbers could get to him rather than leaving. If you can run from armed robbers, then RUN!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.