Does this video convince you to carry your firearm where it’s easily and discreetly available? I sure hope it does make you consider how your carry position affects your Active Self Protection in an armed robbery, because it sure ought to.
Original video: http://get-asp.com/bgna (WARNING: site has lots of NSFW content)
This video is sponsored by CCW Safe, who I use to help me win the fight after the fight: https://get-asp.com/ccwsafe
How do I protect myself from an armed robbery?
1. Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. They will always get the first move, so you need to be ready with attitude, skills, and plan to protect yourself when in places where attacks are more likely to occur. This certainly applies during an armed robbery!
2. Even in a gunfight, empty-handed skills are important because many gunfights close to “extreme close quarters” or “bad breath distances.” Knowing how to protect your firearm from being taken, and how to win the fight that you’re actually in rather than the fight you want to be in, is crucial. This officer wanted to win a gunfight, but he ended up in a fight for his firearm that cost him his life. Empty-handed skills are indispensable.
3. Keep your firearm on your person! Plenty of people keep a firearm stationed near them under the counter or on a desk or in a bag, but in the moment of need during an armed robbery you can’t ever be sure that you can get to it if it’s not on your person and easily accessible. On-body carry is a real must if at all possible. Waist, shoulder, or chest/belly is preferable to ankle by a mile. Had this officer had his gun more readily
4. In the moment an armed robber attacks you, you must look for your opportunity to protect yourself. It is strongly possible that the moment of the attack is not that moment. You want to wait for the time that the armed robber is not focusing on you to act with decisiveness to protect yourself. The officer here didn’t realize there was an additional attacker nearby, and it cost him his life.
5. Spiritual fitness is an important part of Active Self Protection. You don’t often get any advance notice of the last day of your life, but we see over and over that self-defense isn’t a guarantee of winning every fight you might be placed in. You want to be at peace with God, because you’ll need that peace on the day that you meet Him. Since you can’t guarantee advanced notice, make peace today.
6. We must never settle for being able to protect ourselves against a lone attacker because of how common multiple attacker engagements are. Rats travel in packs, so we must always be prepared to face multiple attackers! We must remember that there is always another unknown attacker, so being able to see other potential attackers is an important part of covering your ASP. It is not uncommon at all in an armed robbery to face multiple attackers, so
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
(music in the intro and outro courtesy of http://www.bensound.com)