This is the kind of video that shows you how ruthless evil people can be. I don’t have the background on this hit as to whether the victim was involved in bad stuff, but the Active Self Protection lessons are pertinent either way. Even a hit caught on camera can teach us!
This video is sponsored by CCWSafe, who I use to help me win the fight after the fight: https://get-asp.com/ccwsafe. I am a member and I recommend them highly; please go check them out and thank them for being a sponsor of our daily lessons!
Original video: http://get-asp.com/3phn
What does this hit caught on camera teach good people about self defense?
1. Situational awareness is your best friend. It doesn’t mean that you always are paranoid or living in “condition orange,” but it does mean that you know Col. Cooper’s color code of awareness and you live by it. Pay attention to your surroundings, and recognize that when you’re in public places you need to be more aware of your surroundings than when you’re in private. This hit caught on camera shows how important it is to live a life of situational awareness; I, for one, usually sit where I can see the comings and goings of people so that I can simply see what might come my way and my family’s way. That goes for the bystander as much as the murdered man.
2. In any territorial or predatorial violence, the attacker gets to set the time and circumstances of the attack. They will almost always launch that attack from ambush, or as we like to call it in Kenpo, from “obscurity.” Surviving that ambush is one of the most important keys to successfully defending yourself. Here the ambush wasn’t well disguised unless the hit men were unknown to the victim.
3. If you run from an attack, don’t just run AWAY from danger. Run TO something. Run TO the corner where you can fight one at a time. Run TO a store where a guard can help you. Run TO your house where you can lock the door. Run TO a place where you can better defend yourself from attack. Running FROM danger is great, but running TO safety is better! If you’re in this kind of attack, run TO the door. Run TO your car. Run TO the other room from where people are fighting.
4. Spiritual fitness is an important part of Active Self Protection. You don’t often get any advance notice of the last day of your life, but we see over and over that self-defense isn’t a guarantee of winning every fight you might be placed in. You want to be at peace with God, because you’ll need that peace on the day that you meet Him. Since you can’t guarantee advanced notice, make peace today.
5. We must never settle for being able to protect ourselves against a lone attacker because of how common multiple attacker engagements are. Rats travel in packs, so we must always be prepared to face multiple attackers!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
(music in the intro and outro courtesy of http://www.bensound.com)