If you have any questions contact [email protected]
Though Arizona is a Constitutional Carry state, many Arizonans wisely choose to receive professional training before carrying a firearm on their person for personal protection. In addition to the ability to carry a firearm in establishments that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises and reciprocity with many other states, the training provided in this course will prepare the student’s attitude, skills, and plan for successfully carrying and (God forbid) using a concealed firearm on their person.
This 10-hour course will introduce students to the principles and fundamentals of carrying a firearm on their person for personal and family defense. Students will leave the course with attitude, skills, and plan at the end of the course to be able to:
- State and practice the rules of firearm safety
- State an understanding of the laws of Arizona with respect to the concealed carry of firearms, including where to find the statutes regarding use of force and misconduct involving weapons.
- Understand and articulate the pillars of moral and legal self-defense.
- Successfully choose an effective concealed carry firearm, appropriate holster, and appropriate accessories to conceal carry that firearm all day.
- Understand and practice defensive marksmanship and the fundamentals of pistol shooting including stance, grip, trigger control, sight picture, sight alignment, and breathing.
- Successfully engage a target at realistic defensive distances (1-7 yards) and develop sufficient marksmanship skills to do so with reasonable proficiency as demonstrated in a marksmanship test.
- Successfully carry and safely holster and unholster their firearm.
This course will be held on May 11, 2019 from 10AM-7:45PM. Class begins at 10AM at Ben Avery Shooting Facility, 4044 W Black Canyon Blvd, Phoenix, AZ 85086.
Course cost is $125. On course day there is also a range fee from BASF of $15 per student.
Student Expectations for the course
- This is not a course for those who have never shot a gun before. That’s what a basic pistol class is for! This course assumes that every student knows the rules of firearms safety and can demonstrate them, and knows the basics of marksmanship with a pistol and is familiar enough with a pistol to operate it safely and with some modicum of skill. A beginning pistol course or experience shooting is sufficient.
- This course will involve physical effort and active participation. Students must be in sufficient physical shape that they can take on physically demanding tasks (such as drawing a firearm, moving, and shooting!) and be coordinated enough to maintain their balance and control.
What to bring to the course
- A great attitude. If you come to learn and grow and participate, we’ll all have a great time. If you don’t, then you’ll be miserable!
- Comfortable, everyday clothes. I suggest that you wear your typical daily attire that you wear. The one caveat is that I would wear clothes that you don’t mind ruining. We shouldn’t ruin any clothes, but it’ll be physical so if something tears, I don’t want you to be upset! Closed-toed shoes are required, and I would strongly suggest ladies wear tops with a higher neck line to prevent getting hot brass down your shirt.
- A quality belt holster for the gun you carry or will carry. I would strongly suggest your use a leather or kydex holster, and that it be quality. NOTE: I do not allow Blackhawk Serpa holsters in live fire, open enrollment classes. If you choose to use that holster for your carry gun that’s your choice, but the issues with that holster make it a no-go for this course. If you carry a spare magazine, bring the magazine holster you use as well. A holster is a required item for this course.
- Your firearm and at least 2 spare magazines for it if it is semi-automatic or 2 speed loaders if it is a revolver. If you do not have a firearm, please contact me and I may be able to loan you one for the course.
- A notebook and pen or pencil if you’re a visual learner and need to take notes. 🙂 I will have some handouts for take home as well.
- Water. It’s Arizona…you will need it.
- Lunch or money to purchase lunch. There are several options within a 10 minute drive.
- A hat and sunscreen.
- Eye and ear protection. If you do not have eye and ear protection, please let me know and I can provide some.
- 150 rounds of ammunition for your firearm.
If you need any assistance, email me at john at activeselfprotection.com and I will help as best I can!