Armed robberies at gas stations are VERY dangerous, so if you choose to defend yourself against armed robberies like this, be ready with your Active Self Protection!
If you value what we do at ASP, would you consider becoming an ASP Patron Member to support the work it takes to make the narrated videos like these armed robberies? https://get-asp.com/patron gives the details.
What does this surveillance video teach us about defending ourselves against armed robberies at gas stations?
- Transitional spaces are places where we MUST be more careful of potential attack. A transitional space is any location that (1) allows attackers to prey on potential victims with an element of surprise and (2) provides ready escape for the attackers. Gas stations are perhaps one of the most common transitional spaces, and we see SO many armed robberies happen there that we must know the risks when we’re getting gas!
- Using your verbal judo to de-escalate and redirect a conflict is always the best choice if it is available, so make sure that your verbal game is strong. Knowing how to redirect, how to persuade, how to empathize, and how to talk someone down from a confrontation is critical to avoiding some fights. That said, we must also know that some people will not be dissuaded from a fight, so knowing when to talk and when to act is critical as well. Don’t use your words to try to belittle an armed robber, because armed robberies are inherently dangerous as it is!
- Don’t get into verbal battles with armed robbers, carjackers, or other attackers. As Greg Ellifritz points out, those verbal challenges are taken as personal attacks and lead to a MUCH higher chance of being hurt in armed robberies. Learn the lessons he gives in that article about how to provide a “face-saving exit” and not get shot by challenging their ego!
- Compliance does not at all guarantee your safety in armed robberies or other attacks. We know, for instance, that rape victims who fight back are no more likely to be harmed than if they don’t fight back, and they are less likely to be raped. (study here: https://get-asp.com/601c if you need proof on that) Compliance does not guarantee safety, as placing your safety in the hands of someone willing to commit a felony is a terrible idea. In the first clip compliance worked for a bit, until the armed robber decided to shoot him anyway.
- While we certainly recommend that people carry the best defensive tools they possibly can, there will be times when those tools are unavailable. In those instances, though, being aware of any environmental weapons of opportunity you might use to defend yourself is helpful! A glass bottle can become a very nasty slashing tool. A pen can be used as a makeshift kubotan. A wrench can become a workable fighting stick. Don’t discount environmental weapons if you don’t have access to purpose-built tools. A gas nozzle worked in the second of these armed robberies, though it wouldn’t be my first choice!
Attitude. Skills. Plan.
Copyright Disclaimer. Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.